Anti-Early Runner and Finger Shoes

I'm trying to remember the last time I woke up early enough to run before work. A year ago, maybe more. There was a time when I got up three times a week at five am to run before work. Something happened. I just can't do it anymore. I get up to run races that start early of course, but if I run in the morning, it's on Saturday at seven am or later. The norm for me is to change after work and run downtown from the parking garage. If I go home intending to run, I may not want to get off the couch.

Yesterday, I decided to wake up at 5:45 am so I could jog with Lance. He spent almost as many hours as hubby and I in the car during our trip to Georgia last weekend (visited sister and went to a wedding). He is such a good car riding dog, but he didn't get much exercise.



Lance and Ringo like to snuggle in the backseat
 Hubby and I both had to work during the day yesterday. Even though our pet sitter was coming to walk Lance midday, I realized it would be a good idea not only for me to run, but also for Lance. I only walked once during our trip. But I finally made hubby and I a meal! A big bowl of chili, the best recipe I've ever found, that should last us the week.

The pain and agony of waking up wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but I have no intention of returning to an early morning routine. I felt so sluggish during the day, even after a nice Starbucks drink. I prefer the punishment of heat to the punishment of waking up early.

My next step for running is to buy some finger shoes. The Saucony shoes that I love have been discontinued, and I've almost worn out my last pair. I'm sad because they've been great for me. I figure I'll try the finger shoes because I've heard really good things from people who use them. I'd like to read Born To Run because the book apparently got everyone promoting barefoot/minimalist shoe running. From what I understand, you have to start slow and do really really really short distances when you start with finger shoes. I'm looking forward to that process.

Comments

  1. I lack the discipline to run in the afternoon so I have to get up early to run. If it's not done in the morning, it just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that your cat rides in the car! It looks like it's cozy with your dog. I am SO jealous.
    But I'm with you about early morning running. It's like: Um, why? I'd rather sleep longer and run in the afternoon or evening. Cannot for the life of me understand why most races are held in the morning. Are they just being cruel?
    Happy running,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment