A few words about Boston 2013

Due to the recent tragedy at the Boston Marathon, I'm holding off on sharing my first marathon experience. That post is coming next.

I don't usually comment publicly about current events or politics. I talk about my faith in Jesus Christ every once in a while. When I do, I try to share my relationship with him and how it relates to my running rather than preaching to others.

Outside my usual boundaries, I'm compelled to share my thoughts regarding the acts of terrorism near the finish line in Boston. I'm so sad and so horrified. My heart broke when I saw the news coverage. I couldn't watch some of it, and I couldn't look at most of the pictures. It was too horrific, and I wasn't even there.

Now that one suspect is dead and one is caught, I want to scream at them, how dare you? How dare you try to destroy what I consider one of the most beautiful expressions of the human spirit to strive and persist in adversity, even against the cry of one's own flesh? And to do the same to those who were so kind and generous as to cheer and support friends, loved ones, and even strangers makes me so angry. The victims could've been anyone. And that is the evil heart of terrorism. It tells you, you could be next, and you won't even see me coming. So don't feel safe, don't feel at peace. Spread panic, fear, and hatred.

Anyone watching the news coverage over the last week could tell them, they picked the wrong crowd. "Boston Strong" has been circulating on t-shirts and on the web.  Runners and those who support them will not stop. That is the beauty of running. You cannot stop the spirit of a marathoner. I found out recently that someone I know was there very near where one of the bombs went off. Thank God, she was unhurt, and she rushed to help others, though there was little she could do. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing her name. She ran toward the danger while others ran away. Connie, a champion of many local races, you are my hero.

My hope and prayer is that the families of the victims, the injured, and anyone who witnessed the events--those who looked terrorism in the eye--can grieve and receive peace in the aftermath. And then I pray they can rise up and say, they didn't defeat us. They knocked us down, but we're getting back up again. I've already been witnessing it, and that is the heart of the American spirit.

Lastly, I'm proud of the officers at all levels who worked to capture the suspects. By simply doing their job to the best of their ability, they likely prevented further attacks. More heroes will probably come to light in the coming weeks. This story moved me about a man giving away his medal, a Young Life Regional Director (my dad used to work for YL):

Comments