Running Recommitments: Consistency

As I mentioned in my previous post, Becoming a Running Mom, I had goals of completing 2 miles of consecutive running (without walk breaks) in May, and 3 miles of consecutive running in June.

Goals Accomplished!


And while that felt great, life can get in the way with a little one. We had family in town during the week of Independence Day, which was wonderful. Here we are walking at St. Pete Running Company's Four on the Fourth event.


Our large group (Mom, Dad, sisters, nieces, my running buddy Terry, and of course Baby Luke) walked one mile out and back on the Pinellas Trail during the event.

And while I'm still walking, I haven't been doing much running lately.

So when I went for a short jog around a nearby park one evening last week, I felt how much my missed workouts affected my conditioning.

I walked to and from the park and added only about 1/2 a mile of running. And it was tough!!


HOT HOT Summer

In Florida, summer running is kind of like taking a really long, sopping wet towel, wrapping it around your head about five times, and then starting the jog. Good luck breathing through that thing!

It's tough, and sometimes I've stepped outside thinking...yeah, I don't want to run. This feels horrible.


I'm a big fan of local weatherman Denis Philips.

Sometimes it's the thunderstorms that stop a run before it starts. Other times, I'm busy with writing endeavors. And when the sun comes up (as mentioned in the above Denis Philips post), the heat index climbs to unbearable levels.

However, not running in the summer has consequences when the fall race season kicks into gear. I've learned that the hard way in the past. I'm currently signed up for a race that I deferred twice. Meaning I actually signed up two years ago, but got injured that year, and then got pregnant the next.

The race is not until December, but at the rate I'm going, I need to keep moving or I won't be able to make it.


Consistency in Summer

Summer is a brutal time to train, and therefore my goals are to maintain my workouts rather than worry about increasing speed or distance. Hubby and I have a 5K route that we do from our house that I'd like to consistenly run/walk about 3 times a week.

I've also been discussing walk/jog methods such as Galloway training with my running buddy Terry, and I think that will be key for me in terms of consistency in summer heat. It's not about pushing too hard, it's about "time on the dance floor," as Coach Chris McCaffrey used to say when he worked with me at St. Pete Running Company.

New Goal

In short, my goal is to run/walk 3 days a week averaging a 5K at each workout.

I'm not going to be stringent about the distance because sometimes I'll probably try for more, and other times I'll try for less.

What About You?

Are you a Running/Walking Mom? What goals are you setting for yourself? How do you plan to reach them?




Comments