Moving Forward: Training for St. Pete Run Fest 10K


The Shirt Doesn't Lie

In a little less than a month, I'll be running (and also probably walking) my first post-partum race. The hubby and I are signed up for the St. Pete Run Fest 10K on November 18th.

Notice my shirt in the photo? It's very true. I've never been one of the fast runners (like some of my coworkers at St. Pete Running Company). Especially now, I'm getting back to it slowly but surely. However, I've been dealing with a condition called diastisis recti, and it's been causing me quite a lot of lower back pain.

Race Motivation

It never fails. When I sign up for a race, I take my running more seriously. If I don't have a race coming up, I tend to slack.

It's similar to having a writing deadline. If I make a reasonable deadline for myself, there's a much greater chance that I'll complete whatever project I'm working on.

And I have to admit, I've been slacking on the core exercises which are supposed to help ease the back pain from my condition. My chiropractor has been encouraging me to get consistent. With a race coming up, I'm motivated to do the exercises because I want to enjoy this race.

Just Finish...

That's my goal. It might be one of my slowest times in a long time, but I'm okay with that. Pre-baby, I had accomplished PR after PR when I would race, and I seemed to have reached a peak. Then I got injured, and then I got pregnant (planned), and walking became the compromise.

I missed running, but walking is excellent as well. It still gave me a similar feeling of enjoyment. My body was still moving.

And once the baby was about 4 or 5 months old, I started slowly adding in jogging to my walks. Now I've been able to run about 4 1/2 miles.

But there is nothing wrong with walking!! And I'm just fine with the fact that I may end up walking through some of the St. Pete Run Fest 10K.


Goals

My current goal is to run/walk at least 5 miles prior to the race.

I don't necessarily need to do the full 6.2 miles prior to the race, especially since I'm not looking for a PR, or even a fast time.

What About You?

Are you a Running/Walking Mom? What goals are you setting for yourself? How do you plan to reach them?







Comments