Happy New Year

Technically, tomorrow is New Year's Day, but I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy New Year today since I'm here.

I had a poll question in December about how holiday treats affects you and your running. I must admit, I didn't expect to run as little in December as I did, or to eat as many goodies. I also wrote a lot less than I had planned. On Writing For The Love (my writing blog), I revealed my plan to try writing 50,000 words in December just to see if I could. I didn't participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and thought, why not try it on my own and just see? December was not the best month to pick, but I did manage to write about 11,000 words and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

As for running, I took a two-week break somewhere mid-December. It wasn't my intention to do so, but something amazing happened. I relaxed, I got some of those 11,000 words written, and I came back ready to run on Christmas Eve morning with my amazing runner cousin, Alyssa. We went about 5.5 miles at a 10:30 pace. That's my pushing-it-but-not-uncomfortable pace. It's not comfortable either, but I knew I could hold it throughout, and there's something like comfort in that.

At the end of January, Alyssa, Hea, and two other girlfriends will all be running the Miami Marathon. Several friends from St. Pete are running, in fact. I will be doing the Miami Half Marathon, and the best part is that the races start together. The worst part is the start time at 6:15 am. Now that is painful.

I'm really looking forward to doing another half after getting what feels like a break from the last one. Yesterday I ran 8 miles, and that's the farthest distance I've gone since the Women's Half in November. Next weekend, I'll do a 10 and the weekend after that I'll do a 12. The Saturday before the race, I plan on signing up for a 5-mile run in Clearwater with the CCRT (Calvary Chapel Running Team). This has become my pattern for half marathon training: building up to 12 and then pulling back the last two weeks with shorter distances.

In the New Year, I don't want to make a list of resolutions. Instead, I want to make choices every day about following Christ, writing, and running. That challenge, to make a daily decision to do or not to do, will probably be more difficult than it sounds. Sometimes indecisiveness becomes the decision, and instead of passivity, I want to actively pursue my goals through daily choices. Reading my Bible and prayer are daily goals, but writing and running have their place in the "not today" category for me. I use those big three because other choices, like doing dishes or not doing dishes, often coincide with the decision to run or to write. The dishes may get left undone for a while in 2012, but they will get done eventually. Luckily, I have a really understanding and patient hubby. And he does dishes, too.

God bless you in 2012.



Comments